Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pisherman’s Wharf

I’ve succumbed to the blog plague. It seems like the only manageable way to regularly update on my whereabouts, for those interested in these things. I’ll try and keep it shortish, but I’m not promising much.

This inaugural post is blagged from my new "kost" (a dorm room of sorts with a hotel feel to it) in prime Jakarta location beside some auto-body shops and a crowd of parked motorbikes. The kost is called "De 2nd Home", which might be overstating things a little, although it's quite comfortable. At first sight, I had the uplifting feeling that I'd landed in a microcosm of everything I’m here to study: outside my window a green flag of Islam battles afternoon torrential rains, a small Christian charity hosts a bunch of kids running around, a group of very amiable, not terribly busy people hang out at all hours of the day by a kiosk still adorning campaign material from the Jakarta gubernatorial elections, and the owners of the well guarded De 2nd Home are (I think) Tionghua, the occasionally pogromed ethnic Chinese. In especially inspired moments I can go up to the rooftop terrace for a windy view of the modern towers of Jakarta set to a very loud stereophonic competition of muazzin calls to prayer.

A few days later I can report that the green flag is a commercial for something, the Christian charity is just a government health post with a Red Cross sign (don’t know why they don’t use the crescent), the people are still very amiable and still not busy, the auto-body shop next door turns out to be a Gado-Gado restaurant, and the De 2nd Home owners are still Tionghua (and renovating!) but several of my neighbors are just Bules (Gringos). Indonesian reality seems to be trying to invade my theory, but I will prevail.

But before prevailing over reality… there's just a little bit of bureaucracy to deal with. I spent my first week running between government offices, filling out forms I don't quite understand and trying to keep my story straight on all of them. I now have my SIP and KITAS (!), which along with my SKJ will enable me to get my SPP, and in a couple of weeks my registration card should be ready (this all means as much to me as it does to you). A minor occasion for celebration was my first monetary "token of appreciation" to an official. I didn't actually realize what it was until I didn't get a receipt. But seeing as the man was wearing the stunningly bland uniform of the Department of Home Affairs - dealing with, shall we say, the security aspects of "Home Affairs", I have no regrets. I walked out with letters to the “Home Affairs” offices in 28 provinces (just keeping my options open…).

And now I’ve entered the “calling in all contacts” phase to set up the actual research. I’ll be focusing on elite interviews with politicians for a bit while setting up the many technicalities for later research phases in Islamic and general universities. I’ll be heading out of Jakarta for trips before too long, but in the meantime and in between bureaucrats, I've been enjoying what Jakarta has to offer (more than I had remembered). Luckily, my attempts at coming to terms with being on this side of the earth for quite a while have been aided by several great reminders of "home": a cousin, a friend from my department, delightfully helpful former hosts, a former Stanford Bahasa Indonesia teacher, a wonderful glimpse of the Celtics going 7-0 and counting, and a taxi driver who seemed to know a little too much about San Francisco and was very enthusiastic about showing it:
"Where you from?" - "Amerika, San Francisco"
"Ya, where you live?" - "Di San Francisco. Di California"
"Where?? Daly City?! Ma-ket?! Lombad?! Va-ness? Castro-ha ha ha?!!! Pisherman’s Wharf?!

Oh, and the heat… did I mention the heat? I’m not sure it’s “collective action amidst diversity” I should be researching. Who has any interest in acting collectively or otherwise amidst this humidity, anyway?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh My God- Living next to a Gado-Gado restaurant, you are a lucky man ;-)kol hakavod and behatslacha!

Unknown said...

natan, glad to hear you made it safely. keep up the great work my friend.

aav said...

Nice one, Natan, it all sounds fascinating. I'm cozying up in your (my) office spot now, wondering how all my fellow office mates are doing around the globe. Say hi to Julia for me when you have a chance, and good luck with the collective action troubles in overbearing heat...

Pierre ADIDA said...

Natan, it looks so weird... and exciting. may be you should share with Claire your experience of interviewing people, she got her diploma in this domain...
Good luck and keep us posted. I enjoy very much reading these blogs.
All the Best

Pierre Adida

Unknown said...

Saya ingat semua di kost Jakarta seperti itu -- semua ada lain daripada aku pikir, dan ada banyak-banyak applikasi dan surat-surat, dengan banyak daftar harga (tapi tanpa daftar!!!) :-)

More seriously, this really brings back memories -- keep it up, Natan, a superb vicarious trip back to a former life for me!

Thanks,

Bryan

sara said...

Glad you're getting to see some Celtics after all! :)

Thanks for the updates and keep em coming. And make sure that cousin takes good care of you. Love, Sara

Unknown said...

hi natan.....
i enjoy reading your blog! avi shows me the link...

"a dorm room of sorts with a hotel feel to it" is only for bules....got to see the "real" kost-kost-an untuk mahasiswa dan karyawan/i

let me know if you need anything:-)
will be back to jakarta jan 11 - i hope to see you soon!

salam, herlily

NS said...

Hello all - thanks for the notes. I'll convey the various messages to cousins and office-mates. It must be a very empty office at the moment, but various fieldworkers should be returning soon. Strange to think it's no longer my corner over there...
Pierre - I think work here might be a little less complicated than in Nigeria, even if the gado-gado place isn't a godo-gado place. At least that's what I'm hoping. Give my regards to everyone!

Bryan, Herlily - glad to see you here. I hope things match your memories, even though I really am a bule... Let me know if/when you're around
- NS