Friday, June 20, 2008

Jakarta City Blues

I’m back in Jakarta after a real vacation (meaning a couple of weeks in which one doesn't do any tangible work, but gets to feel uncharacteristically OK about it.) It amazes me how quickly one can adjust to a different environment. Being home and seeing family and friends seemed so natural, that I almost forgot I live in Southeast Asia.

One of the first nights back here I found myself at a jazz club with a few friends. The vocalist/saxophonist was Indra Aziz (a “John Doe-ish”, very Javanese name mixing Hindu and Muslim without any fanfare.) He did a wonderful, melancholic yet upbeat rendition of High and Dry, among many other things.

I’d actually seen a clip he did on Youtube before leaving the States, but I don’t think I truly appreciated it back then. It describes a typical morning in Jakarta: a "city bus", traffic-jams, rain, floods, pollution, veering traffic. It's titled "Jakarta City Blues".




---
And here’s PHD Comics on the “What do you do" question (as noted before, I've encountered this question once or twice myself.)

3 comments:

mr_john said...

Hah, I saw this posted on facebook and I was about to tell you that there's a song called that...

Indra and his gang are seriously good. Which of their bands did you see?

NS said...

Good question, Mr. John, I'm not sure...
How's the Dili jazz scene?

Anonymous said...

Indra is da best!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=102421932

http://voicecat.blogspot.com/